Wednesday 23 March 2011

I BELONG TO TWO DIFFERENT COUNTRIES

                                                                              XXIII


People who move to another country
Often don't belong in either place.
|I am very fortunate because
For me the opposite is the case.

I left the land where I was born
When I was twenty-one.
The English and their weather seemed cold
Compared to India's warmth and sun.

But - after forty years
I appreciate English life
The many opportunities it offers
Without too much stress and strife.

The English, when you get to know them,
Are a kind and tolerant race ,
And I couldn't live anywhere else -
I love this green and pleasant place.

But, when I return to India -
Specially if I go on my own
I feel as if I've never left -
How fast the years have flown...

So I can call two countries 'home'
And in both I feel I belong -
Walking in a cool green woodland glade
Or through Bombay's bustling throng.

Written September 1994
revised 2004 and 2011