Wednesday 23 March 2011

I DON'T KNOW IF I'VE TOLD YOU .....

                                                                              XXIV

As the years go by I've developed
A tendency to repeat
Comments, ideas, annecdotes -
But I'm still discreet.

Even though a warning voice
Whispers in my ear
That my captive listener
Does not want to hear.....

The same old story from my past
That I've told her before,
I ignore the little voice
And go through it once more.

Even if she gently murmers:
"Oh yes, you did say ...."
I've started so I'll finish
Before she gets away.

I too have endured repetition,
So I know it can be a bore
Listening to a story
You've heard many times before.

So why do I still do it?
I just wish I knew;
But if I should ever
Repeat myself to you...

Tell me very firmly
You don't want to hear it again -
And when you repeat yourself
I will do the same!



July 1993