Tuesday 22 March 2011

NO.1 CARDBOARD CITY

                                                                                XXII

As I lay on the sofa
Suffering from a heavy dose of  'flu,
Barbed wire seemed to line my throat
And my head ached too.

My cough was deep and chesty
And I felt so sorry for me
Until I thought of just how bad
Life could really be.

My bed is warm and dry
I can lie in it all day,
Unlike the shop-door sleepers
Who have to move away.

And if it should pour with rain
I've a roof over my head
Pavement sleepers must make do with
A plastic sheet above their bed.

I can have a hot bath -
Change my clothes whenever I like,
Keeping clean on the streets is a battle -
No wonder folk give up the fight.

I can get up at any time
To make a comforting hot drink,
The bath and toilet are close at hand
And I cannot help but think ...

Of cardboard city dwellers
With no heating, kettle or loo.
Life must be absolute hell for them
When they are stricken by the 'flu.

Some have no one to turn to
No one cares if they live or die,
So as |I wait for my aches and pains to go
Very very grateful am I.


Waterloo Station
November 1994