Saturday 25 June 2011

AM I OLD? LX

                                                              LX

Old age comes on gradually -
So I have been told
And it is the attitude of the young
That reminds you that you're old.

They speak slowly and clearly,
In a gentle kindly way
To make sure you understand
Everything they say.

"How are we today?" they ask
In a sweet and dulcet tone.
I think they are well within
The patronising zone.

"Well done" says the girl encouragingly
As |I get out of the dentist's chair.
I yearn to respond sharply - but
She means well so I forbear.

A woman in her sixties
Seems an ancient OAP
When you are fit and young -
And not much more than twenty.

I knew that I was old last week -
Mags. for young women seemed obscene
And I found myself picking up
A Saga magazine.


March 2007

No comments:

Post a Comment